We at William Hill want you to enjoy your online betting experience. We promote gambling as an enjoyable leisure activity and we believe that gambling can only remain this way if you stay in control and gamble responsibly.
In this section, we offer guidelines & instructions on how to monitor your, a family member’s or a friend’s gambling to keep it under control.
In order to support you as a player, we offer you advice and functions to help you limit your gaming. The advice and functions give you control over both the time and the money you spend on your gaming. Individual personal responsibility plays a large part in using the tools we offer, if you are worried you may avoid them intentionally, please seek advice from a specialist gambling charity.
Responsible gaming tips
We believe that gambling should always be an enjoyable leisure activity. Remembering these simple tips can help make sure your gambling doesn’t become a problem.
- Gambling should be entertaining and not seen as a way of making money.
- Bet sensibly and never chase your losses.
- Only gamble what you can afford to lose.
- Monitor the amount of time you spend playing.
- Balance gambling with other activities. If gambling is your only form of entertainment think about whether you are still having fun.
- Take regular breaks from gambling. Gambling continuously can cause you to lose track of time and perspective.
- Don’t gamble when under the influence of alcohol or when you’re upset or depressed.
- Think about how much money you spend gambling. You can track your activity in your Online Account History.
- If you need to talk to someone about problem gambling then contact our customer service team or a problem gambling support service.
Are you a concerned friend or family member?
Below are ways on how you can support someone with a gambling problem and how to manage it.
The following questions can be considered by the individual themselves or by their friend or family:
- Do you stay away from work or college to gamble?
- Do you gamble to escape from problems in your life (boredom, unhappy home life etc.)?
- If you run out of money when you’re gambling do you feel lost and in despair, and want to find money to gamble again as soon as possible?
- After losing, do you feel you must try and win back your losses as soon as possible?
- Have you lied, stolen or borrowed just to get money to gamble or pay gambling debts?
- Have you ever lied to cover up the amount of money or time you have spent gambling?
- Do you gamble until your last penny is gone, even if it is for your bus fare home or for food?
- Are you getting into debt because of your gambling?
- Have others ever criticised your gambling?
- Are you reluctant to spend ‘gambling money’ on anything else?
- Have you lost interest in your family, friends or other pastimes
- Do you put gambling before your family and other loved ones?
- Do arguments, frustrations or disappointments make you want to gamble more?
- Do you feel depressed or suicidal because of your gambling?
The more you or your friend/family member answers ‘yes’ to these questions, the more likely it is that you or they may have a gambling problem.
Gambling problems are far reaching and can have a significant impact on people’s lives. If you want to seek help and advice on how to manage your levels of gambling we recommend that you get in touch with one of the gambling charities below:
How can I restrict my account?
Once logged in to your account, you have easy access to our responsible gaming tools via the right hand side menu. If you navigate to the Responsible Gaming menu you will find multiple tools available for you. The tools we offer are:
Session time limit
The ‘Session Time Limit’ allows you to set a time period where you will be logged out of your account without notice once the chosen time has elapsed…
Login duration limit
With Login duration limit you can set a daily, weekly and/or monthly limit on how long you can stay logged in on our sites. Once a limit is reached you will be logged out of the site automatically and won’t be able to login again until the limit has passed.
Take a break
The ‘Take a Break’ option provides you with an opportunity to block your account for a set period of time. During this time, you will be unable to login. Your account will be automatically re-opened once the chosen time has elapsed.
If you feel you are at risk of developing a gambling problem or believe you currently have a gambling problem, please consider Self-Exclusion. During a period of self-exclusion you will not be able to use your account for betting and gaming. It will not be possible to reopen your account for any reason and we will do all it can to detect and close any new accounts you may open. Should you opt to self-exclude, we strongly recommend that you also exclude via Spelpaus.se which is the national self-exclusion system.
It is mandatory for all Swedish players to have a daily, weekly and monthly deposit limit set. All new players must set limits before they can deposit and play. Take your time when you set your deposit limits to ensure they are relevant to you. You can always decrease and increase your deposit limits from within your account. A decrease of your limits will have immediate effect whilst an increase of limits will take effect after a cooling-off period of 72 hours.
Turnover limits allows you to limit the amount you want to wager per day week and/or month. Please note that turnover limits does not take deposit and loss into consideration but only looks at the actual wagering i.e. if you bet 10 sek, you have wagered 10 sek.
The loss limit allows you to specify how much you are willing to lose per day, week and/or month. The loss limit does not take winnings into account.
Curious about your playing style and want to get an idea of how positive your play is? We have a quick and easy Responsible Gaming Quiz to help you figure out where you’re at with your playing.
Spelpaus.se is the Swedish Gambling Authority’s national self-exclusion system. If you exclude via spelpaus.se you will be excluded from all operators that holds a Swedish gaming license. Please find a direct link to Spelpaus.se here.
Over 18s Only:
In Sweden, it is illegal for someone who is under 18 years of age to gamble. William Hill reserves the right to ask for proof of age from any customer and to carry out checks to verify the information provided.
Customer accounts may be suspended and funds withheld until satisfactory proof of age is provided.
There are a number of third party applications available that parents or guardians can use to monitor or restrict the use of their computer’s access to the Internet.
- Net Nanny filtering software protects children from inappropriate web content www.netnanny.com
- CYBERsitter filtering software gives parents the opportunity to add certain sites to block: www.cybersitter.com
There are also a number of companies who provide software which once installed allows you to completely block individual computers from accessing gambling internet sites, these include:
William Hill strives to make the gaming experience as enjoyable as possible. Unfortunately, there may be occasions when a player is dissatisfied with the quality of a product or customer service. The player can then submit a formal complaint via e-mail to customer service: [email protected]. We will strive to acknowledge the complaint within 24 hours of receipt.
If you are not satisfied with how your case was resolved or dealt with, you can contact Konsumentverket if you have fully exhausted our complaints procedure and remain dissatisfied with our resolution. Their contact details can be found from their website: https://www.konsumentverket.se/
It is important that only complaints of a serious nature are passed on to Konsumentverket.